Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Quotes of the Week: Black History Month

(Image courtesy of MassVacation.com)
I love coming across fantastic, inspiring, moving, funny and other quotes that stand out to me. So I thought I'd share various quotes in the weeks to come that I've come across. My idea is to share at least one a week here on this blog.

In honor of this being Black History Month, I thought I would post some related quotes. And I had a hard time choosing just one, so here are this week's six Quotes of the Week:

For Africa to me...is more than a glamorous fact. It is a historical truth. No man can know where he is going unless he knows exactly where he has been and exactly how he arrived at his present place.
--Maya Angelou

We should emphasize not Negro History, but the Negro in history. What we need is not a history of selected races or nations, but the history of the world void of national bias, race, hate, and religious prejudice.
--Carter Woodson

This being Black History Month, I would like to ask people to celebrate the similarities and not focus on the differences between people of color and not of color.
--Lynn Swann

I don't want a Black History Month. Black history is American history.
--Morgan Freeman

Racism isn't born, it's taught. I have a two-year-old son. You know what he hates? Naps! End of list.
--Dennis Leary

One day our descendants will think it incredible that we paid so much attention to things like the amount of melanin in our skins or the shape of our eyes or our gender instead of the unique identities of each of us as complex human beings.
--Franklin Thomas



I think I'm just going to leave it at that, because these strong and powerful words are able to stand on their own.


Which of these quotes is your favorite? What are your thoughts on Black History Month? How does this have meaning in your life? Share your thoughts in the comments below.


Stay tuned tomorrow (February 9) for my next Photo of the Week, a couple photos I took of Katharine McPhee from the American Idol tour in 2006, in celebration of her show Smash premiering this week.


If there's a great quote, photo or video you've come across, send it to me via Twitter, e-mail or in the comments below, and I might share it on this blog.


Follow me on Twitter @TheJeffDodge. I tweet various thoughts and opinions there. And anything I post on this blog will be tweeted there as well (so that's the best way to find out when the blog's been updated).

No comments:

Post a Comment