Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Quote of the Week: Gary Henderson on Putting Off Writing

(Image courtesy of WritersBreak.com)
Since I am in the early stages of writing a book, I have some quotes lined up that fit in well with where I am at in this process. Today's is particularly fitting, and I'll explain why. Here is this week's Quote of the Week:

"Never put off writing until you are better at it."
--Gary Henderson

Gary Henderson is the author of Three Plays and Nine Days in Union: The Search for Alex and Michael Smith.

When I came across this quote, I immediately knew I had to share it here. And I feel like the substance of this quote of something that I can relate to. There have been many times over the years when I have felt unsure about doing the actual writing part of creating a story because I haven't felt fully confident in my writing abilities. The above advice is something I've heard by many people before, and this is something that I have started to come to terms with.

If I always doubted myself, I would never get anything done. So I might as well just jump head first into the pool and get going and just do it. And also, you're never going to get better at writing if you don't actually write. You won't even know how to improve.

What do you think of this quote? If you're a writer, has this quote had any meaning to you? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

If there's a great quote, photo or video you've come across, send it to me via Twitter, e-mail or in the comments below, and I might share it on this blog.

Follow me on Twitter @TheJeffDodge. I tweet various thoughts and opinions there. And anything I post on this blog will be tweeted there as well (so that's the best way to find out when the blog's been updated).

No comments:

Post a Comment