Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Photos of the Week: Alcatraz Prison [January 18]

Last week, I debuted my weekly Photo/Video of the Week segment when I showed a YouTube video of a cat pushing another cat down an opening in the floor. This week, I want to share some photos.

Two days ago, FOX premiered their brand-new J.J. Abrams created TV show, Alcatraz. I was able to squeeze in time to watch the premiere yesterday. I think I might give my thoughts on it in a different post coming soon, but I think it definitely has a lot of potential to be a great show. There were some things I really loved, and some things they could work on. But regardless, this is a show that I've been anticipating for months now. And there's a big reason why, besides the fact that it's created by the genius that is J.J. Abrams.

I went to San Francisco about 10 years ago when I was younger. I took a bunch of pictures all over the city, as well as when we went to visit Alcatraz prison. Ever since going there, I've always had this fascination with Alcatraz; I don't know what it is about it, but it interests me. Since it's been turned into a TV Show and it just debuted this week, I thought I would share with you all some of the pictures I took when I went there, to give you a sense of what it's been like since closing down and being used as a tourist destination.

Alcatraz Prison, Spring 2002:

(All images courtesy of Jeff Dodge)
Arriving on the island
Water Tower (seen in Alcatraz Premiere)
Warden's House
Administrative Building (seen in Alcatraz Premiere)
"Alcatraz and the American Prison Experience"
Rows and rows of prison cells
Looking inside one of the prison cells

Some of the things in the above photos may seen familiar to those of you who watched the Alcatraz premiere, such as the Administrative Building seen within the first two minutes of the show and the water tower briefly shown.

Have you ever been to see Alcatraz prison in person? If so, what'd you think of it? And did you watch the series premiere of FOX's Alcatraz? Will you keep tuning in every week?

Alcatraz airs Monday nights at 9pm on FOX.

If there's a fantastic photo or video that you've taken or seen lately, send it to me via Twitter or e-mail, and I might share it on this blog.

Follow me on Twitter @TheJeffDodge. I tweet various thoughts and opinions there. Anything I post on this blog will be tweeted there as well (so that's the best way to find out when the blog's updated). If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, either tweet me, e-mail me or leave a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment