Saturday, January 5, 2019

Jeff Dodge's 2019 Golden Globe Predictions

(Photo Source: HFPA)

The 2019 Golden Globe Awards are this weekend, Sunday, January 6 at 8pm ET/5pm PT on NBC, hosted by Killing Eve star Sandra Oh and Brooklyn Nine-Nine star Andy Samberg. Here are my predictions in all 25 categories:

Movies
Best Drama:
A Star is Born

Best Musical or Comedy:
The Favourite

Best Actor -- Drama:
Rami Malek, Bohemian Rhapsody

This is one of the categories I had a super hard time choosing. It's obviously between Bradley Cooper and Rami Malek. Even though I'm going with Rami, I would love to see Bradley get up on that stage, give a speech and be rewarded for all the work he did on A Star is Born, especially if he doesn't end up winning Best Director.

Best Actress -- Drama:
Lady Gaga, A Star is Born

If I get all the other categories wrong, so be it, but if Gaga doesn't win, it's time to riot.

Best Actor -- Musical or Comedy:
Christian Bale, Vice

Best Actress -- Musical or Comedy:
Olivia Coleman, The Favourite

I'm ultimately predicting Olivia Coleman for the win, but it would be so cool to see Emily Blunt--because it's Mary Poppins, after all!

Best Supporting Actor:
Mahershala Ali, Green Book

Best Supporting Actress:
Regina King, If Beale Street Could Talk

Best Director:
Alfonso Cuaron, Roma

Because it's the HFPA voting on the winners, I'm siding with Alfonso Cuaron. But for me personally, I want Bradley Cooper to win.

Best Screenplay:
The Favourite

Best Original Score:
Black Panther

Best Original Song:
"Shallow," A Star is Born

This is one of the best nominated songs I've ever heard. Lady Gaga's voice on this track is exquisite. With Best Actress and Best Original Song, she could (and should) go home with two Golden Globes!

Best Animated Film:
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Incredibles 2 seems like the safe bet, but I'm hoping the HFPA will reward the ingenuity of this Spidey film.

Best Foreign Language Film:
Roma

Television
Best Drama:
Homecoming

This one of the other categories in which I had a tough time making a prediction. It's either Homecoming or Killing Eve. I'm ultimately choosing the former since streaming series have had a pretty good track record in recent years.

Best Musical or Comedy:
The Kominsky Method

After looking around at various online predictions, Kidding is the only show in this category that I haven't seen anybody predict as the winner. It really does seem like a wide-open field. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel still seems to be the favorite, but the HFPA likes to reward newbies here, so to me it's between Barry and The Kominsky Method.

Best Actor -- Drama:
Matthew Rhys, The Americans

Best Actress -- Drama:
Julia Roberts, Homecoming

And this is the third category that I spent way too long considering. It's between Sandra Oh and Julia Roberts. I've heard some people say the HFPA likes to vote for big stars, so that ultimately won me over. But echoing what I said earlier about Bradley Cooper, I would love to see Sandra Oh give an acceptance speech--and she's one of the hosts! Can't we just declare this a tie?

Best Actor -- Musical or Comedy:
Michael Douglas, The Kominsky Method

Best Actress -- Musical or Comedy:
Rachel Brosnahan, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

I haven't seen season 2 yet, but based on my viewing of season 1, Rachel Brosnahan really does deserve all the awards. She's spectacular.

Best Limited Series or TV Movie:
The Assassination of Gianni Versace

I mean, is there any other option? It's Versace all the way!

Best Actor -- Limited Series or TV Movie:
Darren Criss, The Assassination of Gianni Versace

Again...is there any other option? It has to be Darren Criss! (Having said that, a lot of people are predicting Hugh Grant.)

Best Actress -- Limited Series or TV Movie:
Amy Adams, Sharp Objects

Best Supporting Actor:
Henry Winkler, Barry

Best Supporting Actress:
Patricia Clarkson, Sharp Objects

No comments:

Post a Comment