Friday, September 14, 2018

Jeff Dodge's 2018 Emmy Predictions

(Photo Source: ATAS)
The 70th Primetime Emmy Awards is this coming Monday, September 17 at 8pm ET/5pm PT on NBC, hosted by SNL Weekend Update anchors Colin Jost and Michael Che. Below are my predictions.

(Note: The winners in a small handful of the categories were already announced at the Creative Arts Emmys, but I still wanted to mention what my predictions were so that everything is together in one article.)

Best Drama Series:
The Handmaid's Tale

I personally would vote for Game of Thrones, and I'm going to be kicking myself if it ends up winning, but I'm going with the favorite in this category.

Best Comedy Series:
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Best Lead Actor in a Drama Series:
Matthew Rhys, The Americans

Best Lead Actress in a Drama Series:
Elisabeth Moss, The Handmaid's Tale

Best Lead Actor in a Comedy Series:
Donald Glover, Atlanta

Best Lead Actress in a Comedy Series:
Rachel Brosnahan, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series:
David Harbour, Stranger Things

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series:
Yvonne Strahovski, The Handmaid's Tale

Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series:
Henry Winkler, Barry

Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series:
Kate McKinnon, Saturday Night Live

Best Guest Actor in a Drama Series:
Matthew Goode, The Crown

Best Guest Actress in a Drama Series:
Cherry Jones, The Handmaid's Tale

Best Guest Actor in a Comedy Series:
Donald Glover, Saturday Night Live

Best Guest Actress in a Comedy Series:
Tiffany Haddish, Saturday Night Live

I personally would not vote for Tiffany Haddish, but people seem to really love her, for some reason.

Best Limited Series:
The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story

Best TV Movie:
USS Callister (Black Mirror)

Best Lead Actor in a Limited Series or Movie:
Darren Criss, The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story

Back when this season aired, I thought that they need to give Darren Criss all the awards--and I would be super excited to see him win for this role.

Best Lead Actress in a Limited Series or Movie:
Laura Dern, The Tale

Best Supporting Actor in a Limited Series or Movie:
Jeff Daniels, Godless

My personal vote would be for Edgar Ramirez for Versace.

Best Supporting Actress in a Limited Series or Movie:
Penelope Cruz, The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story

Penelope Cruz 100% deserves this award--aside from Darren Criss, she was one of the best actors on the show this season.

Best Reality Competition Program:
RuPaul's Drag Race

Best Structured Reality Program:
Queer Eye

Best Unstructured Reality Program:
United Shades of America with W. Kamau Bell

Best Reality Show Host:
RuPaul, RuPaul's Drag Race

If you know me at all, you know I LOVE Ellen DeGeneres--and she would be my vote for Ellen's Game of Games if I had a say.

Best Variety Talk Series:
Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

Even though my prediction was for Colbert last year, I said my personal pick was Full Frontal with Samantha Bee. That's still my personal pick this time, and I will keep saying that until they hopefully win at some point.

Best Variety Sketch Series:
Saturday Night Live

Best Variety Special (Pre-Recorded):
Carpool Karaoke Primetime Special 2018

I initially marked my prediction for the Steve Martin and Martin Short special, but then I noticed that Carpool Karaoke won in this category last year, so I decided to go with a repeat win. But again, I will be kicking myself if the winner ends up being my initial prediction.


No comments:

Post a Comment