Friday, January 5, 2018

Jeff Dodge's 2018 Golden Globe Predictions

(Photo Source: HFPA)

The 2018 Golden Globe Awards are this weekend, Sunday, January 7 at 8pm ET/5pm PT on NBC, hosted by Late Night host Seth Meyers. Here are my predictions in all 25 categories:


Movies
Best Drama:

The Post

I'm torn on whether to choose The Post or The Shape of Water. The latter seems to be the frontrunner, but this is one area where I'm siding with the current runner-up.

Best Musical or Comedy:
Lady Bird

Best Actor -- Drama:
Gary Oldman, Darkest Hour

Best Actress -- Drama:
Meryl Streep, The Post

Best Actor -- Musical or Comedy:
James Franco, The Disaster Artist

Best Actress -- Musical or Comedy:

Saoirse Ronan, Lady Bird

I initially thought about going with Margot Robbie, but this time, I'm going to side with the frontrunner, unlike for Best Picture.

Best Supporting Actor:
Christopher Plummer, All the Money in the World

Best Supporting Actress:
Allison Janney, I, Tonya

I LOVE Allison Janney, and I would love to see her be rewarded for this role.

Best Director:
Steven Spielberg, The Post

Because I'm predicting The Post for Best Drama, I'm also siding with it for Best Director. I would have gone with The Shape of Water if my earlier prediction had been different.

Best Screenplay:
Lady Bird

Best Original Score:
Hans Zimmer, Dunkirk

Best Original Song:
"Mighty River," Mudbound

Mary J. Blige's voice is beautiful on this song, which is easily the best track in this category.

Best Animated Film:
Coco

Does any other film even stand a chance?

Best Foreign Language Film:
The Square

Television
Best Drama:

The Handmaid's Tale

Best Musical or Comedy:
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

If I had my way, Will & Grace would be the winner, for sure.

Best Actor -- Drama:
Sterling K. Brown, This Is Us

I went back and forth between Sterling K. Brown and Freddie Highmore. I wouldn't be surprised either way.

Best Actress -- Drama:
Elisabeth Moss, The Handmaid's Tale

Best Actor -- Musical or Comedy:
Eric McCormack, Will & Grace

How Sean Hayes and/or Megan Mullally didn't receive nominations is beyond me. But I really want Will & Grace to get some love at the Globes.

Best Actress -- Musical or Comedy:
Rachel Brosnahan, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Best Limited Series or TV Movie:
Big Little Lies

No duh, right?

Best Actor -- Limited Series or TV Movie:

Ewan McGregor, Fargo

Best Actress -- Limited Series or TV Movie:
Nicole Kidman, Big Little Lies

Best Supporting Actor:
Alexander Skarsgard, Big Little Lies

Best Supporting Actress:

Laura Dern, Big Little Lies

No comments:

Post a Comment