Monday, August 25, 2014

Jeff Dodge's 2014 Emmy Predictions

(Photo Source: ATAS)
The 66th Primetime Emmy Awards are tonight (at 8pm ET/5pm PT on NBC)--on a Monday and in August, which feels very strange--hosted by Late Night's Seth Meyers. Here are my predictions for this year's Emmys. (Note: The winners in a few of the categories were already announced at the Creative Arts Emmys, but I still wanted to include my predictions from before seeing the winners here so everything's together.)


Best Drama Series:
Breaking Bad

Best Comedy Series:
Orange is the New Black

Best Lead Actor in a Drama Series:
Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad

Most people are saying that Matthew McConaughey will win, and he very well may, but I think my judgment in this category is a little clouded because I really want to see Cranston win one final time, especially now that I've finished watching the entire series of Breaking Bad.

Best Lead Actress in a Drama Series:
Lizzy Caplan, Masters of Sex

This one seems to be between Caplan and Julianna Margulies. I wouldn't be surprised either way.

Best Lead Actor in a Comedy Series:
Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory

Last year, most people were predicting that Louis CK would win, but I went with Parsons and ended up being right. Wouldn't it be cool if he was a repeat winner?

Best Lead Actress in a Comedy Series:
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep

If she wins, I can't wait to hear her speech.

Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series:
Aaron Paul, Breaking Bad

Don't you want to hear him say b*tch one final time?

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series:
Anna Gunn, Breaking Bad

I predicted Maggie Smith last year and Gunn ended up winning -- I wanna get this one right this year.

Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series:
Tony Hale, Veep

Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series:
Allison Janney, Mom

Wouldn't it be cool if she won Emmys for two different shows in the same year?

Best Guest Actor in a Drama Series:
Joe Morton, Scandal

Best Guest Actress in a Drama Series:
Allison Janney, Masters of Sex

Best Guest Actor in a Comedy Series:
Jimmy Fallon, Saturday Night Live

Best Guest Actress in a Comedy Series:
Laverne Cox, Orange is the New Black

Best Miniseries:
Fargo

Best Television Movie:
The Normal Heart

This has got to be one of the most obvious picks, right?

Best Lead Actor in a Miniseries or Movie:
Billy Bob Thornton, Fargo

Best Lead Actress in a Miniseries or Movie:
Cicely Tyson, The Trip to Bountiful

Best Supporting Actor in a Miniseries or Movie:
Matt Bomer, The Normal Heart

Best Supporting Actress in a Miniseries or Movie:
Allison Tolman, Fargo

Best Reality Competition Program:
The Voice

I resent having to make this prediction. I'll leave it at that.

Best Non-Competition Reality Program:
Undercover Boss

Best Reality Show Host:
Tom Bergeron, Dancing with the Stars

Best Variety, Music or Comedy Series:
The Colbert Report

Best Variety, Music or Comedy Special:
The Kennedy Center Honors

...Cause doesn't it win every year? How boring.

The past two years, I've had a 33% success rate with my Emmy predictions, so I don't have high hopes this year either. But maybe I'll improve.

What are your predictions for the 2014 Emmy Awards? Share your own predictions in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment