Saturday, September 21, 2013

Jeff Dodge's 2013 Emmy Predictions

(Photo Source: CBS/ATAS)
The 65th Primetime Emmy Awards is this weekend--Sunday, September 22 at 8pm ET/5pm PT on CBS--hosted by How I Met Your Mother star Neil Patrick Harris, which means it's time for my predictions on everything from Best Drama and Comedy to Best Reality Show and everything in between.

Best Drama:

Breaking Bad

Best Comedy:
Modern Family

Best Lead Actor in a Drama:
Kevin Spacey, House of Cards

It looks as if this category will come down to Bryan Cranston or Kevin Spacey. Since Breaking Bad will most likely win Best Drama, maybe the voters will split the bill and give House of Cards some love.

Best Lead Actress in a Drama:
Claire Danes, Homeland

Best Lead Actor in a Comedy:
Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory

Most people are saying Louis CK will win. Jim Parsons is definitely the dark horse, so I'm going out on a limb by siding with him this year. Jon Cryer managed it last year, so you never know.

Best Lead Actress in a Comedy:
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep

Best Supporting Actor in a Drama:
Aaron Paul, Breaking Bad

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama:
Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

It'll either be Maggie Smith or Anna Gunn. Opinion online by the critics is kinda split on this one; it's not overwhelmingly for one or the other.

Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy:
Ed O'Neill, Modern Family

Even though someone from Modern Family has a high chance of winning, I'm secretly, or not-so-secretly, rooting for Bill Hader since he's my favorite from SNL.

Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy:
Julie Bowen, Modern Family

Best Guest Actor in a Drama:
Nathan Lane, The Good Wife

Best Guest Actress in a Drama:
Margo Martindale, The Americans

Best Guest Actor in a Comedy:
Justin Timberlake, Saturday Night Live

Best Guest Actress in a Comedy:
Kristen Wiig, Saturday Night Live

These guest acting categories were announced recently at the Creative Arts Emmys, but I always lump them in with the rest of my predictions. I honestly haven't read through the list of winners, so I don't know whether I'm way off or not

Best Miniseries or Movie:
Behind the Candelabra

Best Lead Actor in a Miniseries or Movie:
Michael Douglas, Behind the Candelabra

Best Lead Actress in a Miniseries or Movie:
Jessica Lange, American Horror Story: Asylum

Best Supporting Actor in a Miniseries or Movie:
Zachary Quinto, American Horror Story: Asylum

Best Supporting Actress in a Miniseries or Movie:
Sarah Paulson, American Horror Story: Asylum

Behind the Candelabra has a good shot at winning Best TV Movie, so because of that, I'm hoping they show some love for American Horror Story in the other categories.

Best Competition Reality Show:
The Amazing Race

Best Non-Competition Reality Program:
Deadliest Catch

Best Reality Show Host:
Tom Bergeron, Dancing with the Stars

Best Variety, Music or Comedy Series:
The Daily Show with Jon Stewart

Best Variety, Music or Comedy Special:
The Kennedy Center Honors

I almost don't even want to look at my predictions list while the award show is airing because two years ago, 46% correct, then last year it plummeted to 33%. I guess the Emmys just aren't for me, even though I love watching them. I'm hoping to do better this time around--if I can bring it back up to at least 46% (or at least in the 40%+ range), I'll be happier, though still not satisfied.

What are your predictions for this year's Emmy Awards? Share your own predictions in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment