Friday, January 3, 2020

Jeff Dodge's 2020 Golden Globe Predictions

(Photo Source: HFPA)

The 2020 Golden Globe Awards is this weekend, Sunday, January 5 at 8pm ET/5pm PT on NBC, hosted by comedian Ricky Gervais. Here are my predictions in all 25 categories:

Movies
Best Drama:
The Irishman

Best Musical or Comedy:
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Best Actor -- Drama:
Joaquin Phoenix, Joker

Best Actress -- Drama:
Renee Zellweger, Judy

Best Actor -- Musical or Comedy:
Eddie Murphy, Dolemite is My Name

This seems like a two-person race between Leonardo DiCaprio and Murphy, with Taron Egerton as a possibility to squeeze them out for a win.

Best Actress -- Musical or Comedy:
Awkwafina, The Farewell

Best Supporting Actor:
Brad Pitt, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

My personal pick would be Tom Hanks for playing Mr. Rogers. But since he's already getting the Cecil B. DeMille Award, it's likely that the voters think that's good enough for him in one night.

Best Supporting Actress:
Jennifer Lopez, Hustlers

If it's not Lopez, then it'll be Laura Dern. But c'mon, I would love to see J-Lo win this award!

Best Director:
Bong Joon-ho, Parasite

Best Screenplay:
Quentin Tarantino, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Since I already predicted The Irishman and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood to win in the Best Picture categories, those are my options for Best Screenplay, even though there are a lot of people out there predicting Marriage Story.

Best Original Score:
Thomas Newman, 1917

Best Original Song:
"(I'm Gonna) Love Me Again," Elton John & Taron Egerton, Rocketman

I fully expect the Rocketman tune to win, but to be honest, I don't think it's the best song in the running. In my eyes (or, rather, ears), the best song in this category is Taylor Swift's "Beautiful Ghosts." However, there's been so much backlash to Cats that I doubt that movie will ever win any award aside from some Razzies.

Best Animated Film:
Toy Story 4

I wish The Lion King had gotten more love when it came out. I actually just re-watched it this week, and I still really enjoyed it. I'm actually really surprised that Toy Story 4 is the overwhelming favorite to win here. Yeah, it's Pixar, so you'd expect all the awards. But with Frozen 2 competing as well, I would have thought that one would be more neck and neck with Toy Story 4.

Best Foreign Language Film:
Parasite

Television
Best Drama:
The Morning Show

Succession is the favorite to win, but I'm going with one of the underdogs. I would love to see this show that stars Jennifer Aniston, Reese Witherspoon and Steve Carell take home the gold.

Best Musical or Comedy:
Fleabag

Best Actor -- Drama:
Billy Porter, Pose

Brian Cox is the expected choice, but there's a lot of people who are hoping for Porter. And he could very well win.

Best Actress -- Drama:
Jennifer Aniston, The Morning Show

Who doesn't love Jennifer Aniston? She's only won a Golden Globe once--back in 2003 for Friends. Coincidentally, she has also won only once at the Emmys and SAG Awards. Let's change that; she deserves this.

Best Actor -- Musical or Comedy:
Bill Hader, Barry

Best Actress -- Musical or Comedy:
Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Fleabag

If anyone takes this honor away from Waller-Bridge, it'll be Kirsten Dunst--and I wouldn't be surprised at all if she won.

Best Limited Series or TV Movie:
Chernobyl

This is a three-way race between Chernobyl, Unbelievable and Fosse/Verdon.

Best Actor -- Limited Series or TV Movie:
Jared Harris, Chernobyl

Best Actress -- Limited Series or TV Movie:
Michelle Williams, Fosse/Verdon

Best Supporting Actor:
Andrew Scott, Fleabag

Best Supporting Actress:
Helena Bonham Carter, The Crown

Carter is the odds-on favorite. But who wouldn't love to see Meryl Streep win? That's the acceptance speech I wanna hear.


No comments:

Post a Comment